By Guy Beauchamp
Animal Vigilance builds at the author’s past e-book with educational Press (Social Predation: How team residing advantages Predators and Prey) by way of constructing a number of different issues together with the advance and mechanisms underlying vigilance, in addition to constructing extra absolutely the evolution and serve as of vigilance.
Animal vigilance has been on the leading edge of analysis on animal habit for a few years, yet no accomplished evaluation of this subject has existed. scholars of animal habit have serious about many points of animal vigilance, from types of its adaptive price to empirical learn within the laboratory and within the box. The gigantic literature on vigilance is largely dispersed with usually little touch among versions and empirical paintings and among researchers targeting diverse taxa equivalent to birds and mammals. Animal Vigilance fills this hole within the on hand material.
- Tackles vigilance from all angles, theoretical and empirical, whereas together with the broadest diversity of species to underscore unifying themes
- Discusses a number of more moderen advancements within the quarter, similar to vigilance copying and impression of meals density
- Highlights fresh demanding situations to assumptions of conventional types of vigilance, akin to the belief that vigilance is self sufficient between staff participants, that is reviewed in the course of dialogue of synchronization and coordination of vigilance in a group
- Written via a most sensible specialist in animal vigilance
Read Online or Download Animal Vigilance: Monitoring Predators and Competitors PDF
Similar entomology books
Beekeeping is a sixteen-billion-dollar-a-year company. however the precious honey bee now faces serious threats from illnesses, mites, insecticides, and overwork, let alone the mysterious Colony cave in affliction, which motives probably fit bees to desert their hives en masse, by no means to come back. within the Quest for the fitting Hive, entomologist Gene Kritsky bargains a concise, fantastically illustrated historical past of beekeeping, tracing the evolution of hive layout from old Egypt to the current.
Bugs and natural world: Arthropods and their Relationships with Wild Vertebrate Animals presents a finished review of the interrelationships of bugs and flora and fauna. It serves as an creation to bugs and different arthropods for flora and fauna administration and different vertebrate biology scholars, and emphasizes the significance of bugs to wild vertebrate animals.
Social insects--ants, bees, termites, and wasps--can be seen as strong problem-solving structures with refined collective intelligence. Composed of easy interacting brokers, this intelligence lies within the networks of interactions between members and among contributors and the surroundings. a desirable topic, social bugs also are a strong metaphor for man made intelligence, and the issues they solve--finding foodstuff, dividing exertions between nestmates, development nests, responding to exterior challenges--have vital opposite numbers in engineering and machine technology.
Predaceous diving beetles (Coleoptera: Dytiscidae) represent one of many greatest households of freshwater bugs (~ 4,200 species). even if dytiscid adults and larvae are ubiquitous all through various aquatic habitats and are major predators on different aquatic invertebrates and vertebrates, there are not any compilations that experience considering summarizing the data in their ecology, systematics, and biology.
- Forest Entomology in East Africa: Forest Insects of Tanzania
- Secret Lives of Ants
- Advances in Insect Physiology: 21
- Hormones and Reproduction of Vertebrates, Volume 4: Birds
- Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus: Diagnosis, Management,and Control
Additional info for Animal Vigilance: Monitoring Predators and Competitors